Project 120: Phase 1
What Does Success Mean to You?
Where do you want to be and what do you want to have?
The first phase of the plan for the 120 Project, was to craft, create and detail my desired future. To put pen to paper, and create a future of my dreams, unhindered by the reality of my current situation. As if I were a novelist, setting the scene for a great story to begin. I did just that.
All while, I hoped deeply that by sharing my personal story, that you’d dream the same. I hoped that you’d no longer settle for how things were, but desire greatness and choose to live a life that you love.
If you’ve been following along since the beginning you’ll already know that The 120 Project isn’t about me, rather it’s about all of us; everyone who wants more in their lives, and anyone who wants to have success. If this is the first you’ve heard of The 120 Project, check this out [Project 120 Home], to understand the heart and hope behind what we’re doing.
How Do You Define Your Success & Greatness?
What does your ideal future look like? What would true success be for you? If you don’t know, that’s okay because figuring out the answer is exactly what this post is all about. By the end of this post, my hope is that you’ll have an answer that truly resonates with who you are.
Below is a summary of my personal goals. If you’re not really interested in the details of my goals, that’s cool, just skip down to my Contribution Goal and read from there.
My Desired Future – My Greatness
I promised to always be transparent and open so here’s a summary of my personal goals, including a whole bunch of details I’d much prefer to keep to myself.
If you’re not interested in the details of my goals, that’s cool, just skip down to my Contribution Goal (Trust me it’s relevant to you!)
- Personal development goals – Own personal growth.
- Career/business/economic goals – Career, business, or financial life.
- Toys/adventure goals – Want, have, do or experience in your life.
- Contribution goals – Goals beyond me, what I want to leave behind.
Personal Development Goals
- Healthy – Body, Mind, and Spirit.
- Body: Optimal health – 10% body fat while maintaining or growing my current muscle mass. Additionally, to me, that means, the absence of illness or injury & full of energy. (6-12 months)
- Mind: Change my reactions – Break patterns of frustration and anger in my life and to replace with positive reactions in difficult situations. (6-12 months)
- Authoritative Business Figure: Become an authoritative business figure: become a go-to source for the media, a keynote speaker, and respected author. (12-24 months)
- Family: Be a great husband & a great father to my future children. (Continue)
- Alternative Income: Generate income from an alternative source or sources (i.e. not my regular day job) which outstrips that of my regular day job. Specific benchmarks :
- $150,000 Per annum (12 Months)
- $500,000 Per annum (2 Years)
- $1,000,000 Per annum (5 Years)
- A beautiful Family Home: We’re already well on the way to this one. We’ve purchased an amazing home in Sydney, Australia. The next step, to renovate it into an incredible home which has the room for our future family. (12 Months)
- Overseas Adventures: After living abroad for 2.5 years, we’ve become addicted to experiencing and learning about new cultures and countries. The specific goal is to travel and live abroad for a period of time each year: one part holiday and one part living life in another country. Picture a slightly extended vacation where we get to experience more than just the usual tourist spots in any given destination.
- A Family Retreat: Own a family retreat, a special piece of rural property on the water where we can escape to as a family. Here we’ll water ski to our hearts content, relax, read and most of all spend quality time with friends and family. (you can take the boy out of the country, but not the country out of the boy)
- I’m on a Boat: Rather, I will be one day soon. This goal is to own a boat which we can use to explore the beautiful Sydney Harbour. It will be docked in the bay at the end of out street. Given that this bay has a multiple-year-long waiting list – I’m currently brainstorming ideas to on how to expedite this. Your ideas are welcome, ha!
Contribution Goals (The One That Matters to You)
This is my most deeply desired goal. If I can achieve this desire, it will change not only my life but my family’s and yours too.
This “goal” is much more that the I-want-a-boat-style goals above. The rest are mere specks of dust by comparison. This desire is my true north. This goal surpasses me, and my selfish desires, to include you. To include anyone who’s not living at their full potential, and wants to.
The Problem I See:
While I sat and dreamed, I was overcome with the realisation that far too many people go through life only to lose their dreams and to accept a more “realistic” life. That doesn’t mean a car for everyone (I’m not Oprah). For some people, this means regret in the future, for others, it’s accepting a life of abuse, poverty, low self-esteem or illness.
What am I going to do about it?
So I did. I am going to dedicate a considerable amount of our time and resources to changing the lives of others. I’m not an all-knowing expert; or the picture of ultimate success, but I can lead by example, I can encourage others, and I can share my story openly. So I will – I’m an average guy, normal like you. If I can have success in my life, you can too.
We will create a place for those who desire to become great. A place where the unfulfilled and restless can have more. Where we can live for greatness and achieve our own true success. Above all, It’s a place where we’ll see our lives as they could be.
Now It’s Your Turn
I asked at the beginning, where do you want to be? If you don’t have a crystal clear answer, you’ll likely not achieve your desire, and you’re definitely not living to your full potential. I implore you, to allow yourself the time and headspace to truly discover your greatest desires in life. Once you do, it will begin changing your life immediately.
How To Define Your Ideal Future
Step 1. Organise 30 mins of Quiet Time
You want to make sure you’ve got enough time to think and dream. I suggest you organise at least 30mins of uninterrupted quiet time alone, more if possible.
Step 2. Collect Writing Materials & Templates
Get a notebook or some paper, a pen, and download these templates [Project 120 Resources] to capture your thoughts.
Step 3. Dream & Write
Take a least 5 mins per category and just write out all of the things you want to be, do and have in your life. Don’t censor yourself, don’t hold back, don’t worry about going into great detail just write down the main concept.
e.g. Want a holiday house on the beach, write that. Don’t worry about the price, the colour or the location. We’ll get to these details later.
Step 4. Time for a Timeframe
Quickly, go back over your list and write next down the timeframe within which you’d like to achieve this goal. Don’t spend a long time doing this, it should take you 10-20 seconds, at most, per point.
e.g. Holiday house on the beach – 2 years.
You’re Done…for now.
If you truly allow yourself to dream, unrestricted by your current situations, you’ll be buzzing after you finish. Enjoy it! It’s the start of something big in your life. Remember that we’re in this together, we’ve committed to achieving success. So if you’ve got any questions at all please let me know below.
Coming Up in Project 120
The next step is to work out where we are now. What’s the current state of affairs in our lives? This will allow us to identify what we need to do to achieve our desired future.
The Next Phase of Project 120 – What Does Your Life Look Like Right Now?